Slide Nature
Destruction
of
Slide Architecture Destruction
of
Slide Human rights Destruction
of

Mamayi Mosque

One of the historical and religious monuments of 19th century Shush city that was built by Karbalayi Safikhan Garabaghi was Mamayi Mosque. The city of Shusha consisted of 17 mahallas (quarter/district/neighborhood) that were divided into upper and lower mahallas. Mamayi Mosque was located on G. Askarov streets of the Mamayi mahalla, which was part of the upper mahallas of Shusha city.

The Mosque consists of two floors. On the second floor, there is a special praying hall for women. The windows on the sides of the second floor are for lightening the hall. The general entrance door of the Mosque is asymmetric. Special stairs have been installed at the back of the Mosque to access the women’s section. Only the women’s hall can be reached by these stairs. There are four columns in the Mosque. These columns divide it into three parts. The windows in this mosque are installed by the two main facades of the building and the altar. There was a “guldeste” (tent-shaped booth for muezzin) on the roof of Mamayi Mosque, which resembled the other quadrangular house roofs of the residential buildings in Shusha city.

Mamayi Mosque functioned as a poetry house during the Soviet Union. A few years before the occupation of Shusha city by Armenians, Mamayi Mosque along with Ashaghi Govhar Agha, Yukhari Govhar Agha, and Saatli mosques were renovated. The mosque was plundered and destroyed after the occupation of Shusha city in May 1992 by the Armenian Armed Forces. There is information that, later on, the Mosque was disgracefully converted into a church by Armenians and its commemorative Islamic plaque erased and replaced with an Armenian cross.

Releated posts

Card image cap
Garagol State Reserve

Qaragol Interrepublics State Reserve was set up with the decision of the Council of Ministers dated November17, 1987. Garagol State …

Card image cap
Aghdam Bread Museum

The idea of establishing Aghdam Bread Museum, which is considered to be the second in the world after the Zurich …

Card image cap
Khurshudbanu Natavan’s House

The Khurshudbanu Natavan’s House is a historical and architectural monument of the 18th century located in the city of Shusha. …

Card image cap
Museum Mausoleum Complex of Molla Panah Vagif

Museum Mausoleum Complex of Molla Panah Vagif is located in Shusha, Azerbaijan. It was built in honor of Molla Panah …

Card image cap
Garghabazar Caravanserai

Garghabazar Caravanserai was built in 1681 at the hillside, in the center of Garghabazar village of Fuzuli district, 8 km …

Card image cap
15-arched Khudafarin Bridge

The Bridge belongs to the Arran architecture school. The first written source that mentioned the 15-arched Khudafarin Bridge belongs to …

Card image cap
Russian Orthodox Church in Kuropatkino village of Khojavand

Armenia’s vandalism in Nagorno-Karabakh and seven surrounding regions affected not only the historical, cultural, and religious heritage of Islam but …

Card image cap
Jabrayil History-Ethnography Museum

Jabrayil History-Ethnography Museum has been operating since 1953. Archaeological and ethnographic materials belonging to the history of the region, textiles, …

Card image cap
Khudavang Monastery Complex

Khudavang, or Dedeveng, Monastery Complex is located in the Vang village of Kalbajar District, on the left bank of Tartar …

Card image cap
Aghdam Juma Mosque

“The 19th century Aghdam Juma Mosque is perhaps the only structure that has withstood the years of neglect since the …