Slide Nature
Destruction
of
Slide Architecture Destruction
of
Slide Human rights Destruction
of

St. Yelisey Temple Complex

St. Yelisey Temple Complex is located in the north-east of the Maghavuz (Madagiz) village of Tartar district, at an altitude of 2000 m above sea level. According to legend, the temple was built in the fifth century, in honour of Yelisey, the first preacher of Christianity in Albania. A fortress of the complex has a very comfortable position and provides a strong defense and it is a typical for medieval Azerbaijan.

The Complex is surrounded by fortress walls on all sides. The western gate of the fortress guarantees the defense of the complex. There are 18 various buildings inside the fortress: main temple, chapels, a two-storied residential house, service buildings and stables. 

The main temple consists of two rooms. The first room is square-shaped, and divided into three naves by means of two columns and two half columns. The central nave is much higher than the other ones. The naves are covered by the cylindrical vaults. On the roof, there is a steeple on the four columns. The second part of the main temple is a rectangular pray hall. 

The facades of the Temple are covered with the well-hewn stone. The second building of the Temple is a relatively small church located on the right side of the temple. There are six chapels on the right and left sides of the main temple. A single-span bridge built over the river 1 km away from the fortress was the basic linkage with the fortress. St. Yelisey Temple Complex dates back to the 14th century.

  1. “Terter Region”, Armenian Vandalism: Azerbaijani Monuments in Captivity. https://www.armenianvandalism.az/en_terter.html.
  2. “Monasteries and Temples”, org. https://karabakh.org/karabakh-culture/architecture/monasteries-and-temples/.

Releated posts

Card image cap
Garagol State Reserve

Qaragol Interrepublics State Reserve was set up with the decision of the Council of Ministers dated November17, 1987. Garagol State …

Card image cap
Aghdam Bread Museum

The idea of establishing Aghdam Bread Museum, which is considered to be the second in the world after the Zurich …

Card image cap
Khurshudbanu Natavan’s House

The Khurshudbanu Natavan’s House is a historical and architectural monument of the 18th century located in the city of Shusha. …

Card image cap
Museum Mausoleum Complex of Molla Panah Vagif

Museum Mausoleum Complex of Molla Panah Vagif is located in Shusha, Azerbaijan. It was built in honor of Molla Panah …

Card image cap
15-arched Khudafarin Bridge

The Bridge belongs to the Arran architecture school. The first written source that mentioned the 15-arched Khudafarin Bridge belongs to …

Card image cap
Garghabazar Caravanserai

Garghabazar Caravanserai was built in 1681 at the hillside, in the center of Garghabazar village of Fuzuli district, 8 km …

Card image cap
Russian Orthodox Church in Kuropatkino village of Khojavand

Armenia’s vandalism in Nagorno-Karabakh and seven surrounding regions affected not only the historical, cultural, and religious heritage of Islam but …

Card image cap
Jabrayil History-Ethnography Museum

Jabrayil History-Ethnography Museum has been operating since 1953. Archaeological and ethnographic materials belonging to the history of the region, textiles, …

Card image cap
Khudavang Monastery Complex

Khudavang, or Dedeveng, Monastery Complex is located in the Vang village of Kalbajar District, on the left bank of Tartar …

Card image cap
Aghdam Juma Mosque

“The 19th century Aghdam Juma Mosque is perhaps the only structure that has withstood the years of neglect since the …